Welcome to Topic 2!
Please watch the video that transitions and expands upon the concept of Human-Centered learning from Topic and connects the History and Context of K-12 Distributed and Open Learning.
Videos that summarize content for students, rather than expecting them to sit in a synchronous lecture (in bricks and mortar classrooms OR online video sessions), are examples of Flipped Learning. Please watch the following video before you start Topic 2.
This is the link to the Topic 2 googleslides which are FULL of links and resources: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1p8zUN01hPa9zJwfBwCtXs3du8-JYB2hDIEdO1UWa6D8/edit#slide=id.g8d61610efd_0_1695
This is a link to a transcript of the video:
Topic 2 Activities:
Complete Assignment 1: Digital Privacy, Security, FIPPA and
Acceptable Use Policies Quiz (Due July 10, 2020)
Required Individual Activities:
- Read and add notes/ questions to the three topic readings through digital annotation by using Hypothesis or google.docs
- Individual blog post #2: How would you describe the historical and theoretical trends in k-12 open and distributed learning? What did you already know, what do you know now based on the course readings and activities, what do you hope to learn?
Required Pod Activity:
- In your pod, you must “meet” to compare and contrast K-12 online & open theory and history based on your course readings.
- REPLY to the topic 2 blog posts of all the members in your pod. (Due July 15)
Building a PLN/ Social Media
- Twitter Hashtag: #EDCI339
- Add a tweet to the #EDCI339 course hashtag and lurk in the Twitter stream
- Participate in the optional course zoom webinar on Topic 2
- Dr. Randy LaBonte & Dr. Michael Barbour – Tuesday, July 14, 203 PDT
- (Zoom Webinar Link)
Optional Create Activity
- Create a 5 minute Video/ Podcast or Digital Artifact which describes: “How you would “teach/ design, create or share” something for another teacher based on the weekly course topics. https://awesome-table.com/-LBnE8hn7NBBTPOjM2Qo/view
Optional Open Learning Activity
Ask and answer questions about K-12 open & online learning in a digital open learning commons using Padlet. (Please consider FIPPA before participating)
Optional Slack Conversation
- Participate in the topic conversation thread focused on the course readings in the course Slack channel –EDCI339 A04’s informal communication tool.
Topic Readings: Please add your Digital Annotations
Roberts, V. , Blomgren, C. Ishmael, K. & Graham, L. (2018) Open Educational Practices in K-12 Online and Blended Learning Environments. In R. Ferdig & K.Kennedy (Eds.), Handbook of research on K-12 online and blended learning (pp. 527–544). Pittsburgh, PA: Carnegie Mellon University ETC Press.
Barbour, M & Labonte, R. (2018) An Overview of
eLearning Organizations and Practices in Canada. In
R. Ferdig & K. Kennedy (Eds.), Handbook of research
on K-12 online and blended learning (pp. 600-616).
Pittsburgh, PA: Carnegie Mellon University ETC Press.
Bates, T.(2014). Learning Theories and Online
Learning. [Blog post]. Retrieved from
Hypothesis tutorial is on the #EDCI339 Course Tutorials page.